The Vedas are the scriptures of the Hindu religion, in India.
- The Vedas have no human author - they are 'sruti, that which is heard by the sages and rishis and saints
- There are four main vedas
- Rig Veda - prayers and mantras
- Yajur Veda - spells out man's duties and code of conduct
- Sama Veda - contains more of Rig Veda and Yajur Veda and is set to music
- Atharvana Veda - rules for the life of the householder.
Veda are ususally divided into two, that which you must do, and that which you must know.
Upanishads and itihasas are often included in what people call the Vedas.