- Bernadette Soubirous was a young girl who experienced many apparitions of the Virgin Mary
- She became a nun.
- Nuns do not marry, they take vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. This means they will live in a convent with other nuns, and not marry and have children.
- So Bernadette Soubirous never married.
- Saint Marie-Bernarde Soubirous (born Maria-Bernada Sobirós; 7 January 1844 – 16 April 1879), was a miller's daughter born in Lourdes. From 11 February to 16 July 1858, she reported 18 apparitions of "a small young lady." Despite initial skepticism from the Catholic Church, these claims were eventually declared to be worthy of belief after a canonical investigation, and the apparition is known as Our Lady of Lourdes.
- After her death, Bernadette's body remained incorrupt - a sign of divine favour.
- The shrine at Lourdes went on to become a major site for pilgrimage, attracting millions of Christians of all denominations each year.
- On 8 December 1933, she was canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church; her Feast Day is celebrated on 16 April.
- In recent times St Bernadette has been considered a Christian mystic. Here is a link where you can read the Wikipedia entry on St Bernadette:
|Includes CC-BY-SA content from Wikipedia's Bernadette_Soubirous article (authors)|