- As of the early 21st century, Christianity has around 2.2 billion adherents
- One third of the World's population is Christian
- Where are the Christians?
You can see a list of Christians by Country here
Christians firstly believe in the Divinity of Jesus.
Christians usually worship in a community, a faith community, often called a Church.
There are many different types of Churches. The first Church was the ,Orthodox Church,
The Oriental Orthodox Church split from the Eastern Orthodox Church in the 4th century because of discrepancies of the nature of Christ. The Catholic Church separated from the Orthodox Church in 1054 because the Catholics erected a Pope, who the Orthodox were opposed because they claimed that Christ was the head of the Church, not a man.
You can view an image of these divsions here
At that time, many churches split from Rome, and various countries had their own Churches.
For example, here are the Churches that stemmed from the Reformation:
- Eastern Orthodox Church
- Oriental Orthodox Church
Roman Catholic Church
- Latin Rite (Rome and the Pope)
- Eastern Catholic Churches
- Anglican Communion
- Continuing and Independent Anglican
- Reformed Churches
- Congregationalist Churches
- Apostolic Churches - Irvingites
- United and uniting churches
- Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
- Latter Day Saints
- Salvation Army